Beamable's CEO Jon Radoff gave a lightning talk sponsored by the Boston Indies & Women in Games Boston where he presented the rules for making a living as a small game studio. Check out the replay on Twitch!
Here are the rules:
- Shift your mindset from making a game to providing an entertainment service — Think about how you will ship new content every day. Every week.
- Break some rules — The games that stand out aren’t simply clones. Try merging genres!
- Establish scarcity in your economy — It needs to take a long time and/or lots of money to acquire the best game items.
- Don’t cap the size of your economy — The biggest design mistake is running out of things to buy or acquire.
- Implement effective merchandising — Constantly experiment with price points, bundles, new content to buy.
- Run events! Lots of events! — Tie your events to limited-time merchandising that aligns with the event.
- Give players compelling and meaningful social interactions — They will talk about your game for decades.
- Engage with your players — Become known for great community and customer support.
- Focus your time and effort on making the stuff that stands out — Use platforms like Beamable.com to give you the business foundation for social, events and merchandising.
- Go for it! — If you want to make a game then make a game! Give it everything you have. You can win because most people in this business aren’t going to put in the effort.
Watch the whole replay for the details!